Ah pastry cream, classic filling of so many excellent pastries: eclairs, cream puffs, roulades, oh my!
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tsp Amoretti® Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla W.S. 2X
- 4 egg yolks
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- small sheet pan lined with plastic wrap
- In a saucepan whisk together cornstarch and sugar.
- Add cold milk and whisk to combine thoroughly.
- Stir in Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla and egg yolks.
- Place the saucepan over medium to low heat, add the butter and whisk constantly until mixture begins to boil.
- If chunks begin to form, remove from heat and stir vigorously until smooth.
- Return to heat and whisking constantly, cook on medium-high heat, while the mixture boils, for 4 minutes.
- Pour pastry cream onto sheet pan and cover with plastic, making sure the plastic wrap is touching the pastry cream. This will prevent a skin forming.
- Place in freezer for 10 minutes, just to begin cooling, and then move to refrigerator.
- Chill for 2 hours or overnight before using.
- We're jump-starting the cooling process in the freezer to keep the items in the refrigerator from warming to unsafe temps while the pastry cream cools.
- For ultra-smooth pastry cream, run through a fine mesh seive before cooling.