Blue ice cubes would make any drink exciting, but add a splash of acidic liquid like lemon juice and watch some real magic happen! Makes about 30 ice cubes, depending on tray size.
- 4 cups very hot water
- ¾ cup butterfly pea flowers
- ice cube trays
- any refreshing beverage, preferably on the clear side
- Steep the pea flowers in steaming hot water for about 2 minutes.
- Strain the liquid and pour into ice cube trays.
- Freeze until solid.
- For dramatic effect, fill the bottom half of the glass with regular ice cubes to allow for the color change to show.
- Whatever drink you pour into the glass over the blue ice cubes must be acidulated for the chemical change to take effect. Lemonade, for example, is perfect for this.
- Find butterfly pea flowers online or at your local health foods store.