What isn't better with brown butter? Make a big batch of brown butter today and have it ready for anything, like our stunning Hummingbird Cake!
- 2 lbs (8 sticks) unsalted butter
- Melt butter in a medium sized saucepan over medium heat.
- After a few minutes the milk solids will rise to the top. Carefully skim solids off with a spoon, they will be hot.
- Continue to skim until butter is clear of milk solids, has a nutty smell, and is amber colored.
- Remove from heat and strain immediately.
- Use right away or store up to 3 months in the refrigerator.
- Using unsalted butter gives you the ability to control the level of salt in every dish. Chefs and cooks prefer unsalted butter the exactly that reason. Salt control is key in cooking, both savor and sweet.
- Feel free to change up the quantity of butter, brown a single stick or make enough to last 3 months!