These yeasted doughnuts filled with raspberry jam are especially popular during Carnival and are sure to delight any time of year. Jamaican Rum Extract adds a subtle flavor to the dough. Makes 14-16 filled doughnuts.
- 2 packages (4½ tsp) dry yeast
- 1½ cups warm whole milk (95-110℉)
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 tsp Amoretti® Jamaican Rum W.S. Extract
- 1 tsp salt
- 4½-5 cups flour
- about 2 quarts peanut or grapeseed oil or other oil with high smoke point
- powdered or granulated sugar
- circle cutter, up to 3"
- large pot or deep fryer
- deep-fry thermometer
- wire rack set within a sheet pan
- In a saucepan over low heat, combine frozen raspberries and ½ cup sugar.
- Once the raspberries have defrosted and the sugar has dissolved, increase temperature to medium-low and cook 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, combine pectin and 2 tablespoons sugar. Stir together to combine completely.
- Add pectin mixture to raspberries.
- Bring to a boil and cook for 2 minutes, stirring.
- Remove from heat and stir in Raspberry Swirl.
- Move to a bowl to cool before refrigerating overnight, or chill in an ice bath if using immediately.
- Add the yeast to the warm milk, stir and then let it sit for 5-10 minutes until it is bubbly.
- Cream the butter and sugar until it is light and fluffy.
- Add the egg and egg yolks, one at a time.
- Add Jamaican Rum Extract and salt and combine.
- Alternate adding the flour with the milk/yeast mixture. Mix for 5 minutes or more until the dough is smooth.
- The dough will be slack and may need some more flour. Add the flour a few tablespoons at a time. This dough will not pull away from the sides.
- Place the dough in a greased bowl and proof for 1-2½ hours until it has doubled in size.
- Punch it down and proof again to double in size, another 1-2½ hours.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough to ½” thickness and cut rounds up to 3” in diameter.
- Place them on a parchment-lined sheet pan, spaced at least an inch apart, and let them proof for 30 minutes to double size.
- Ten minutes before they are done proofing begin heating the oil to 375℉ in a deep pan. Use enough oil to give you at least 2” in depth.
- Fry the doughnuts for 2-3 minutes on each side until browned.
- Place on a rack over a sheet pan to cool.
- Fill with Raspberry Jam and dust with powdered sugar or granulated sugar.
- Raspberry Jam will keep 1 week in the refrigerator.
© 2020 Amoretti® All Rights Reserved