You ate one candy cane but what to do with the rest of the box? Peppermint Ice Cream of course! This recipe is especially perfect for those of us in warmer climates!
- 4 egg yolks
- ¼ cup + 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup cream
- 2 drops Amoretti® Peppermint Extract O.S
- ¼ to ½ cup crushed candy canes
- 1 tbsp crushed candy canes
- ice cream maker
- Beat egg yolks, sugar, and cornstarch. Set aside.
- Heat milk just to boiling, remove from heat and temper in the eggs.
- Return pot to heat and cook on medium low to 82°C (179°F) or until it coats the back of a spoon.
- Pour into a bowl and cover with plastic, making sure the plastic touches the mixture. Chill for 4 hours or overnight.
- Lightly whip the cream and fold it into the mixture, along with Peppermint Extract and 1 tbsp crushed candy canes.
- Refrigerate 30-45 minutes.
- Pour into ice cream machine and churn according to manufacturer’s instructions. Very near the end, add the remaining crushed candy canes.
- Put into the freezer for an hour or two.
- Garnish with more crushed candy canes when serving.
- The day before or just in general, store the bowl for your ice cream maker in the freezer wrapped in a plastic bag. This saves time waiting for it to freeze.
- Go slowly when tempering the egg yolks! You don’t want them to scramble.
- Make sure the plastic that you use to cover the bowl in step 4 touches the mixture. This prevents a skin from forming.
- Adding the crushed candy canes during the last minute or two of churning makes sure that they are evenly distributed through your ice cream.