This easy to make recipe is perfect for a Halloween party. Layers of creamy chocolate mousse and crunchy cookie crumbs topped with gummy worms and the easiest festive topper. These are not the dirt cups of your childhood.
- 1 cup whole milk
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 3 yolks
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1¼ tsp gelatin
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 cup milk chocolate
- 1¾ cup whipped cream
- 1 cup basic custard (warm) see recipe below
- Heat milk and cream.
- Combine sugar and yolks. Temper into milk/cream and cook to coat back of spoon or to 179° F
- Use 1 cup of this Basic Custard for the Mousse in this recipe.
- This can be made ahead, covered and chilled.
- If made ahead, re-heat slowly in microwave or in a double-boiler.
ASSEMBLE MOUSSE CUPS
- To make the "Mud Mousse", bloom gelatin in water and set aside.
- Whip cream to very soft peaks. (Over-whipped cream will give the mousse a grainy texture.) Set aside.
- Pour hot custard onto milk chocolate and let sit without stirring for a few minutes.
- Melt bloomed gelatin in microwave for about 20 sec. Be careful not to boil it. Just melt it. You may want to melt it 10 seconds at a time, checking it to make sure it is melted.
- Whisk chocolate and custard to fully combine. Add melted gelatin and continue to mix.
- Cool in an ice bath for a few minutes before folding in the whipped cream. Be very gentle when folding in the cream, in order to retain the light texture of the mousse.
- Pipe mousse into pumpkin mold and smooth the top with an off-set spatula.
- Freeze for at least one hour or overnight.
- Pipe some mousse into a glass, then layer 1-2 T of Amoretti Natural Graham Cookie Crumbs over the mousse. Pipe another layer of mousse and add a layer of crumbs.
- Top with frozen pumpkin shaped mousse and gummy worms.