Creamy chocolate mousse topped with dazzling passion fruit, these dessert cups look too good to eat! But once you take a bite, you won’t be able to stop there! This dessert is rich but not overwhelming, which makes it perfect as a palate cleanser or an afternoon treat!
It does take a bit of effort to make the custard, chocolate mousse, and passion fruit curd, but it is all worth it once you taste it. Since you can make all the different parts ahead of time, this is a no stress, amazing, yummy dessert!
- 1 cup whole milk
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup sugar
- 3 egg yolks
PASSION FRUIT CURD
- 1¼ tsp gelatin
- 1 tbsp water
- 1¾ cup cream
- 1 cup finely chopped milk chocolate
- 1 cup prepared custard, still hot
- Heat milk and cream to simmerring.
- Combine sugar and egg yolks.
- Temper eggs and cream. Cook until mixture coats the back of a spoon or to 180°F(82°C).
- Set aside 1 cup for the Chocolate Mousse. Refrigerate the rest for another use.
PASSION FRUIT CURD
- Bloom gelatin in water.
- Whip cream to very soft peaks and set aside.
- Pour hot custard over milk chocolate and let sit without stirring for a few minutes.
- Melt bloomed gelatin in the microwave for about 20 seconds.
- Whisk chocolate and custard to fully combine.
- Add melted gelatin and continue to mix.
- Cool in an ice bath for a few minutes before folding in the whipped cream. Be very gentle when folding in the whipped cream to retain the light texture of the mousse.
- Bloom gelatin in water and set aside.
- Over a double boiler, cook on low-medium heat: Passion Fruit Artisan, water, sugar, vanilla bean seeds, and eggs.
- Cook to 180°F(82°C) or until the mixture coats the back of a spoon.
- Heat gelatin in microwave for 10 seconds to melt.
- Add to the passion fruit mixture.
- Add butter and mix to combine.
- Place in a dish and cover with plastic touching the top and chill.
- Once you are ready to fill the cups, stir the Passion Fruit Curd to soften.
- Combine 1 cup Passion Fruit Curd and 1 cup sweetened whipped cream, folding together until smooth.
- Pipe a layer of chocolate mousse into a cup, top with a layer of passion fruit cream and garnish with a small scoop or quenelle of whipped cream or white chocolate creme, pomegranate arils, and chocolate decorations.
- Custard can be made ahead, covered and chilled. If made ahead, reheat slowly in the microwave or on a double-boiler.
- Passion Fruit Curd can be made ahead, covered and chilled. It will keep in the refrigerator for about a week.
- Don’t whip the cream too much. Over-whipped cream gives the mousse a grainy texture.
- When melting the bloomed gelatin, melt it 10 seconds at a time, checking it to make sure it is melting and does not boil.