If summer had a flavor, it would be this tart and herby sorbet! Sorbet is a wonderful warm-weather dessert or a refreshing palate cleanser between courses during a multi-course meal, and lemon and basil meld beautifully together. Churn a batch this weekend and stay cool through the dog days of summer! Makes 1 pint.
- stick blender or small food processor
- ice bath
- ice cream maker
- chilled ice cream container
- Purée basil leaves and ¼ cup water. Add Basil Oil Extract and mix well. Cover and chill.
- Combine lemon zest and ⅓ cup lemon juice and set aside. (Save remaining juice for another use.)
- In a saucepan over medium-high heat, pour in ½ cup water and then add the sugar. Cook and stir until the sugar dissolves, which will happen just as it comes to a boil.
- Pour syrup into a bowl, stir in the remaining 1¼ cup ice water and set the bowl in an ice bath to chill for 15 minutes
- Add Lemon Compound and lemon zest and juice mixture to the chilled syrup.
- Pour the lemon mixture into an ice cream maker and process for 15 minutes.
- Add the chilled basil purée to the ice cream machine and continue mixing for another 15 minutes.
- Place the sorbet into a chilled ice cream container and freeze for 2 hours or overnight before serving.
- Garnish with fresh basil leaves.
- Sorbet will melt quickly as there are no stabilizers in this recipe.