Creamy and satisfying with a punch of flavor from bacon and scallions, Colcannon is way more than the sum of its parts! Serve it as a perfect side for corned beef on St. Patrick's Day or alone for a comforting dinner any night this winter.
- 3 lbs yukon gold potatoes
- 1 head cabbage, cored and chopped
- 1¼ cups (2½ sticks) + 2 tbsp unsalted butter, divided
- ¾ cup milk, warmed
- 2 tsp Amoretti® Natural Ham Hock Type Extract W.S.
- 1 lb bacon, cooked and chopped
- 4 scallions, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped, for garnish
- Steam potatoes for 30 minutes, until they are soft but not mushy.
- Meanwhile, boil cabbage in unsalted water until it turns a darker color, about 10 minutes.
- Add 2 tbsp butter to boiled cabbage, cover and let sit for 2 minutes.
- Drain cabbage and set aside.
- Remove potatoes from steamer and let cool slightly before chopping. (We prefer to keep the skins on, but you can remove them now if you'd like.)
- Place chopped potatoes in a large bowl and mash with a potato masher.
- Add remaining 1¼ cups butter gradually, then mix in hot milk.
- Stir in Ham Hock Extract.
- Fold in cabbage, bacon, and scallions.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle with fresh parsley and serve warm with corned beef for an Irish feast!