'Tis the season for joy, laughter, and the sweet enchantment of holiday treats! Candy canes have graced holiday celebrations for generations so what better way to ring in the season than these adorable and delicious Candy Cane Cookies? These cookies are not just a treat for the taste buds; they're a feast for the eyes, adding a touch of whimsy to any holiday spread. The classic peppermint flavor that makes traditional candy canes so beloved takes center stage in these delightful cookies brought to you by our Peppermint Extract. The sweet but cool peppermint flavor is a nostalgic nod to the treats of our childhood, invoking memories of cozy winter nights. So this holiday season, indulge in these Candy Cane Cookies, where every bite is a celebration of the joy and wonder that make winter truly magical.
- In a bowl with a hand or stand mixer, beat together the butter, sugar, baking powder, salt, vanilla and peppermint extracts together until a paste forms.
- Add in the egg and mix until completely combined, then add in the flour and mix until just combined.
- Divide the dough in half and color one half of the dough with red food coloring, then pat each of the doughs into disks, wrap each of them in plastic wrap seperatly and refridgerate for at least 3 hours or overnight.
- The dough should be firm but still malleable, if the dough is too hard to shape, let it sit out for a few minutes. (if the dough warms too much stick it back in the refridgerator as it becomes hard to shape when too warm)
- Pinch off a 1-inch pice of the white dough and roll it into a 5-inch rope and repeat with the red dough making sure they are the same length and width.
- Place the ropes next to each other and twist together, then transfer to a lined baking sheet and curve the top of the dough into a candy cane shape.
- Repeat with all the remaining dough placing each cookie about 2-inches apart.
- Chill the dough again for 1-3 hour to ensure they do not spread.
- Once ready to bake, preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. and make the egg wash with your egg white and 2 tbsp. of water and beat until foamy.
- Brush each cookie with the egg wash, sprinkle with sparkling sugar and then bake for 8-12 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!