Try this impressive yet simple braid filled with sweet almond paste and topped with snappy sliced almonds!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp powdered sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter, room temperature
- 3 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- ½ cup milk
- ½ tsp Amoretti® Amaretto W.S. Extract
- 1 egg + 1 tsp water, lightly beaten, for egg wash
- Cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy and pale yellow.
- Mix in the salt and Amaretto Extract.
- Beat in the egg until just combined.
- Add Almond Paste and beat until smooth. Stir in sliced almonds and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer; mix the flour, powdered sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Add butter and cream cheese, mix until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add the milk and Amaretto Extract and stir until the dough comes together.
- Turn the dough out onto a big sheet of lightly-floured parchment paper and lightly flour the top.
- Roll it out to a large rectangle, at least 10" by 12".
- Mark the dough lengthwise into thirds and make diagonal cuts at 1" intervals in the outer thirds. Do not cut into the center.
- Spread the filling in the center third of the dough.
- Fold strips, first one from one side and then one from the other side in an alternating fashion, over the filling. It will now resemble a braid.
- Use the sheet of parchment to carefully transfer your braid to a baking sheet.
- Brush the braid with egg wash.
- Bake 20-22 minutes, until the braid is golden on top and filling is set.
- Allow the braid to cool for around 30 minutes.
- Whisk together the powdered sugar, milk, and Amaretto Extract.
- Drizzle over the cooled braid.
- Sprinkle with sliced almonds and serve!
© 2017 Amoretti® All Rights Reserved