It's pie season! and we have a lovely warm and wonderful holiday pie for you that will deliver all of the holiday goodness you expect but with an allergy friendly twist!
- ¼ Cup 1:1 Gluten Free Flour
- 1 Tbsp. of Sugar
- ¼ Tsp. of Salt
- ½ Cup + 2 Tbsp. Unsalted Vegan Butter
- 5 Tbsp. Ice Water
- 1/2 Tsp. Amoretti® Vanilla Butter Extract
- 6 Granny Smith Apples
- 2 Tsp. Vegan Butter
- 6 Tbsp. Sugar
- 1 Tsp. Cinnamon
- 1/4 Tsp. Nutmeg
- 1 Pinch of Salt
- 2 Tsp. Lemon Juice
- Slurry - 4 Tbsp. Cornstarch + 1/2 Cup Water
- 5 Tbsp. Sugar
- 2 Tbsp. Butter
- Combine Flour, sugar and salt add cold cubed butter with a pastry blender until you get pea-sized chunks.
- Add ice cold water, one tablespoon at a time, mix all together. If too dry add more water until it blends to form a loose dough.
- From into a tight ball and wrap in plastic wrap.
- Allow to cool in fridge for at least 2 hours.
- Dust a piece of parchment paper with your gluten free flour, place another piece of parchment paper on top of the dough and roll out using a rolling pin into a 12 inch circle.
- Place your dough into your favorite pie dish and press into the dish, repair any cracks and crimp edges.
- Place in fridge to cool again.
- Set oven to 425° F
- Peel and cut apples to desired size.
- Sauté the apples in the 2 tbs of vegan butter until slightly softened.
- Add 6 tbs of sugar, and allow to simmer.
- Add salt, nutmeg, cinnamon and lemon juice.
- Make your corn starch slurry (mix cold water and cornstarch together) and add to apples.
- Remove from head and add the additional sugar and butter.
- Allow mixture to cool before adding to your pie crust.
- Wrap edges of crust in aluminum foil to avoid burning, and remove the covering the last 15 minutes of baking.
- Bake your pie for 30-40 min.