This savory jam is excellent on steak or pork chops; added to cream cheese, blue cheese, or baked brie for a spread over crackers; or smeared thickly on that leftover Thanksgiving sandwich. Or just eat it with a spoon, we won't tell! Makes about 1½ cups.
- 1 red onion, halved root to stem and thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- ¾ cup red wine
- ½ cup cooking sherry
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tbsp Amoretti® Bourbon Whiskey Compound
- Over medium heat, sauté the onions in the butter. Do not brown, just cook until softened.
- Add the red wine, sherry, and sugar. Sauté over medium heat, stirring, until the mixture thickens, 20-30 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and add Bourbon Whiskey Compound.
- Serve immediately or let cool before placing in a jar and refrigerating.
- Once chilled the butter will solidify, so before serving place some jam in a bowl and set that bowl in a larger bowl of warm water. Stir to combine until the butter melts and re-emulsifies.
- Refrigerate for up to a week.
- Warm to room temperature before serving for best flavor and consistency.