It's that time again to roll up your sleeves and make creative pastries for Halloween. Enjoy the flavors of cinnamon and apple together in this warm, delicious dessert!
- 2 puff pastry sheets, defrosted
- ⅓ cup (6 oz) cream cheese, softened
- 2½ tsp Amoretti® Cinnamon Bun Artisan
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 Granny Smith apples; peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp mini chocolate chips (for eyes)
- 1 egg (for egg wash)
- 2 tbsp sugar (for dusting)
GLAZE FOR "BANDAGES"
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Combine the cream cheese, Amoretti Cinnamon Bun Artisan and the sugar in a mixer, until smooth.
- Roll out the puff pastry sheets.
- Make a template or cut free-hand coffin shapes from one sheet of puff pastry.
- Cut the other sheet into thin strips, for the "bandages" to go over the filling.
- Brush the edges of the “coffins” with egg wash.
- Spread a layer of the filling onto the “coffins”, staying inside the egg-washed edge.
- Fan out a layer of the apples over the filling.
- Place the tops and bottoms onto the “coffins” and drape “bandages” diagonally over the apples.
- Chill for 15 minutes.
- Brush with egg wash, dust with sugar and bake for 15 minutes, rotate the sheet pan and bake another 15 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Brush the “coffins” with simple syrup or diluted apricot jam and let them cool for 15-20 minutes before piping the glaze over the bandages and then applying chocolate chip “eyes” to the tops.