If you grew up far from the delicious influences of Mexico, allow us to introduce you to one of our favorite holiday traditions: Ponche Navideño! Served around Christmastime (a pre-midnight Mass warm-up perhaps?), this holiday punch is sweetly spiced and loaded with unique flavors. We've swapped a few ingredients to make this cozy drink a little more accessible, like a splash of our Tamarind Extract so you don't have to hunt down tamarind pods and can spend more time toasting your visiting family! Makes about 2 quarts.
Everything we need for Ponche Navideño! We've got water, apple juice, brown sugar, cinnamon sticks, pear and apples, and our key ingredients: Guava Artisan and Hibiscus and Tamarind Extracts. Let's get simmering!
We'll begin by bringing our liquids, sugar, and cinnamon sticks to a simmer. Brown sugar brings a nice carmel-y sweetness.
Once we're simmering, everything else goes in! Like our Guava Artisan, for a touch of the exotic. Let the whole shebang simmer gently for an hour, your patience will be rewarded!
Here's the full recipe!
- 6 cups water
- 2 cups apple juice
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1½ cinnamon sticks
- ⅓ cup dried cherries
- ¼ cup golden raisins or prunes
- 1 cup apple, peeled and diced
- ½ cup pear, peeled and diced
- ¼ cup Amoretti® Guava Artisan
- 1 tbsp Amoretti® Hibiscus W.S. Extract
- 1½ tsp Amoretti® Tamarind W.S. Extract
- rum, optional
- Place water, apple juice, brown sugar, and cinnamon sticks in a large pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add dried cherries, golden raisins, apple, and pear. Stir in Guava Artisan and Hibiscus and Tamarind Extract.
- Simmer for one hour.
- Serve immediately or allow to cool before refrigerating. Reheat before serving.
- Add a splash of rum to individual servings if desired.