Pithiviers originated in the small French town of Pithivier. They are traditionally filled with frangipane or almond paste but can be made as a savory pastry as well.
To make them even more beautiful, they may be egg washed before baking or brushed with simple syrup after.
- 1½ cup powdered sugar
- 1½ cup Amoretti® Blanched Almond Flour
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 13 tbsp (1½ sticks + 1 tbsp) butter, room temperature
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- ½ tsp Amoretti® Almond Extract O.S.
- 1 tsp Amoretti® Amaretto di Amoretti Liqueur Flambé
- 2 sheets of frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg, lightly beaten for egg wash
- 1 cup Almond Cream
- sugar, for topping
- In a food processor, combine powdered sugar, Blanched Almond Flour and cornstarch. Mix for about 30 seconds.
- Pour mixture into mixing bowl, add butter and cream together, scraping bowl.
- Add eggs, Almond Extract, and Amaretto di Amoretti Liqueur Flambé. Mix to combine, about 2 minutes.
- Chill for 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the sheets of puff pastry to rectangles about 12” x 16”.
- Using cookie cutters, cut out circles in the desired size, two for each Pithivier.
- Brush the edges with egg wash.
- Pipe a circle of Almond Cream inside the egg washed edges.
- For the top of the Pithivier, score the top circle with a small knife, making a fan-shaped pattern, beginning in the center and ending at the outer edge.
- Lay the top over the bottom covered with Almond Cream.
- Press to seal the edges.
- Press your finger on the sealed edge and, with a small knife, make a small curved cut towards the center, turning the Pithivier as you go, creating a design on the edge.
- Brush the top with egg wash and chill for 15 minutes.
- Brush with egg wash again and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for 15 minutes then lower the temperature to 375°F and bake for another 20-25 minutes, until the tops are golden brown. (The oven temperature may vary, depending on your oven. You may need to bake the Pithiviers at 375°F for the first 15 minutes, and then drop the temperature to 350 degrees.)
- Cool for about 10 minutes before serving.
- These are delicious with coffee and are best served warm.