Tender custard and creamy caramel get a bright, spring-worthy addition with passion fruit! Whip up this simple dessert for your Cinco de Mayo celebration.
- 1¾ cups cream
- 1 cup mik
- pinch salt
- ½ vanilla bean, scraped
- 7 tbsp sugar
- 3 eggs + 2 egg yolks
- ⅓ cup Amoretti® Passion Fruit Compound
- 1 cup sugar
- ⅓ cup water
- fine mesh strainer
- large pan for water bath
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine cream, milk, salt, sugar, and vanilla bean in a pot. Bring to a simmer then remove from heat and let steep for 30 minutes.
- MAKE CARAMEL In another saucepan, boil water and sugar until golden brown, do not stir to avoid crystallization. Immediately pour into ramekins and tilt to coat sides.
- In another bowl whisk together eggs, yolks, and Passion Fruit Compound.
- Whisk cream mixture into egg mixture a little at a time to temper the eggs and avoid cooking them. Strain into caramel coated ramekins.
- Bake in a water bath for 30-40 minutes until set.
- Cool to room temperature before chilling in the refrigerator.