A perfect recipe for spring! These lemon cakes will delight the whole family with pastel colors and delicious taste!
- 1 - 8oz package cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tbsp sugar
- Egg shaped cookie cutter
- Assorted circle cookie cutters
- Make boxed cake per instructions, adding Lemon Compound.
- Bake in a sheet pan per instructions.
- Once cooled, level top of cake.
- Mix cream cheese, butter, and powdered sugar until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, whip the cream and the sugar.
- Fold the whipped cream and cream cheese mixture together.
- Frost the cake with a light layer of icing and freeze for an hour or overnight.
EASTER CAKE ASSEMBLY
- Knead small batches of the fondant to a soft consistency, sprinkling cornstarch onto the work surface to keep it from sticking.
- Add the colors to the individual batches, wrapping each in plastic.
- Keep all fondant wrapped as soon as it is soft.
- Using an egg-shaped cookie cutter, press out individual “eggs” from the frozen, frosted cake.
- Roll out the colored fondant pieces to thin layers.
- Using the same egg-shaped cookie cutter, press out a yellow egg and gently wet the bottom of the fondant so it adheres to the frosted cake.
- Lay it onto the egg-shaped cake.
- With a knife, cut a small band from the blue fondant, wet the bottom and lay it on top of the yellow fondant.
- Using a small tip, cut out little circles from the orange fondant, wet them and lay them on the blue band.
- Using a small egg-shaped cookie cutter, press out an egg from the orange fondant, wet it and lay it on the upper edge of the yellow egg.
- Keep fondant wrapped at all times when not working with it as it hardens very quickly.
- Use any shaped cookie cutters or cut your own shapes to make any decorations you’d like!