It's National Pizza Day and the best way to celebrate is with a homemade pizza pie! Better yet we added in a fun valentines day twist with heart shaped dough and pepperonis but you can shape it and top it however you'd like. Our Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil gives this crust a robust and fragrant flavor and our Chipotle Pepper Extract provides a hint of spice to keep you coming back for another slice. This recipe yields two pizzas but can be cut in half for just one.
- 1 tsp. granulated sugar
- 2.5 tsp. active dry yeast
- 1 cup filtered water + 2 tbsp. set aside if needed
- 3 cups 00 finely ground flour (you can substitute for all purpose or whole wheat but you will have the best results with 00 flour)
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 3/4 tsp. sea salt
- 2 tbsp. Amoretti® Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil or pure olive oil
- 1/4 tsp. Amoretti® Chipotle Pepper Extract Water Soluble
- Pizza sauce
- Mozzarella cheese
- Toppings of choice
- Heat 1 cup of water to 110 - 115 F (do not over heat your water or your yeast will not activate)
- Dissolve sugar in water and then mix in your yeast. Let yeast activate for about 10 min.
- In a food processer or stand mixer (both with dough attachment) add your flour, salt, and garlic powder. If using a food processor gently pulse a few times to mix. If using a stand mixer gently whisk to mix.
- Add in your water with yeast, olive oil, and chipotle extract. Mix until a dough ball forms. If dough seems too dry add water 1/2 - 1 tbsp. at a time. Dough will be slightly sticky when finished.
- Flour a work surface and your hands and knead dough for a few minutes. Fold into a dough ball.
- Oil a large bowl and place dough inside. Roll the dough ball in the oil to coat it. Cover and let rise for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Once your dough has risen cut in half and form two dough balls. Place dough into oiled bowls, roll to coat and cover again.
- Let rise again for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 500 F
- Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium heat.
- Prepare your toppings and set them aside, but close to your skillet because you will be topping your pizza quickly.
- Flour a work surface and press out your dough into an even circle OR cut into a heart shape for a festive valentines pizza.
- Carefully place your dough into the cast iron skillet and use a fork to dock the middle leaving about 1/2 - 1" for crust. (this is just poking holes into the dough to prevent bubbles from forming while baking)
- Quickly sauce, cheese and top your pizza.
- Transfer to oven and bake until cheese is bubbly and crust is golden.
- Let cool before slicing and serving.