Storebought poptarts were rare growing up, but we bet Mom would be more on board with this homemade version! These easy pie pockets are a great addition to breakfast, brunch, tea, or morning snack. Our Hazelnut Milk Chocolate Spread makes for a super quick preparation and something the kids can help with! They can even be made ahead and frozen for a week before baking. Makes eight 4"x2" pie pockets or 10 leaf-shaped pie pockets.
- 1 package prepared pie dough, or use our favorite Basic Pie Crust
- Amoretti® Hazelnut Milk Chocolate Spread
- 1 egg, for egg wash
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 4 tbsp powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp milk
- leaf cookie cutter(s)
- small pastry brush
- 2 small pastry bags
- ¼ cup simple syrup, see TIPS
- Preheat the oven to 375℉. Fill one pastry bag with Milk Chocolate Hazelnut Spread and set aside.
- Roll out dough to ⅛” thickness.
- Cut 4” x 2” rectangles and/or leaf shapes. Remember, you'll need two per pie pocket.
- Whisk the egg thoroughly.
- Brush the outer edges of one side of each pie pocket.
- Pipe Milk Chocolate Hazelnut Spread in the center of each pie pocket.
- Top each with the matching shape and gently press to seal the edges by pressing gently. Use a fork, spoon, fluted pastry cutter, or your fingers to seal completely and make an edged design.
- With a small knife, cut small vents on the top of each pie pocket.
- Freeze the pie pockets for 10 minutes.
- Brush with the egg wash and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, until browned.
- Brush with simple syrup when removed from the oven and cool for 20 minutes.
- Combine the powdered sugar and milk to make a glaze. If it is too stiff, add more milk, just one drop at a time.
- Fill a small pastry bag with the glaze and cut the tip off the bag.
- Drizzle cooled pie pocket with glaze and enjoy!
- Why are we rolling our pie dough so thin? Since our pie pockets will have 2 layers of dough sandwiched with Milk Chocolate Hazelnut Spread, we don't want the dough to overwhelm our delicious filling.
- SIMPLE SYRUP Heat ¼ cup each water and sugar to boiling then remove from heat. Cool and keep covered in the refrigerator for up to one week.