Bring the French patisserie to your kitchen with this fun and fabulous recipe by Danielle Cochran (@thesaltycooker). Danielle will break down each step of making the perfect eclair including the eclair choux, the luxurious filling and a world-class Cappuccino-Tiramisu chocolate topping using Amoretti® flavors. So grab your ingredients, your beret and come with us on this fun baking adventure. Bon appetit!
- 1 cup of water
- 1/2 cup butter, I used a dairy free
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup gluten free 1.1 flour
- 1 tsp arrowroot powder
- 4 large eggs, room temp
PASTRY CREAM FILLING
- 2 cups of Oat Milk
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 egg
- 1 cup of sugar
- 2 vanilla beans, split
- pinch of salt
- 3 tbsp. cornstarch
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a bowl mix the flour, salt and arrowroot powder.
- Place a pot over medium heat, add the butter and water and bring to a rapid boil.
- Stir in flour mixture with a wooden spoon and once it becomes a dough ball place in a mixing bowl.
- Add one egg at a time.
- Once all incorporated add to a pastry bag with a large round opening.
- Pipe 5" long sections on the parchment paper.
- Bake at 425 for 15 then reduce heat to 350 (don't open the stove) and bake for an additional 25 mins.
- Remove and make a little slit on the top of each eclair shell, place back in the oven for 5 minutes.
- Remove, place on cooling racks to cool completely.
- Then slice in half, scoop out the inside.
PASTRY CREAM FILLING
- Add the oat milk and vanilla beans to a pot and place over medium heat.
- Bring to a boil. In a separate bowl mix together the eggs, sugar, salt, and cornstarch.
- Once the milk comes to a boil, reduce the heat to low.
- Whisk one spoonful of the milk into the egg mixture.
- Whisk quickly to temper the eggs.
- Add into another spoonful, while you whisk.
- Then add the egg mixture to the pot with the milk. Whisking constantly and then bring the heat to med/low. Whisk until it starts to thicken, then when its really thick.
- Remove, place in an airtight container and place in the fridge to cool.
- Pipe into the eclairs after you have dipped the top in chocolate.
- Melt the chocolate, stir in the flavor.
- Then dip the top of the eclair in the chocolate, fill the inside with pastry cream.