Warm yourself from the inside out with this chipotle-spiced Butternut Squash Soup!
- 1 large butternut squash
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 apple, peeled, cored and chopped
- 2 tsp garlic paste
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh sage leaves
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp Amoretti® Blue Agave Nectar, Light
- ¾ tsp Amoretti® Chipotle Pepper W.S. Extract
- 1 cup cream
- 4 fresh sage leaves, chopped fine
- 3 tbsp Amoretti® Organic Extra Virgin Finishing Olive Oil
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Cut a slice on top of the squash and rub olive oil over the outside. Bake for 1½ hours until it can be pierced easily with a sharp knife.
- Cut the squash in half, scoop out and discard the seeds.
- Scrape out the flesh and set aside.
- Saute the onions in butter for about 5 minutes, until soft. Add apple and garlic paste, continue to sauté for another 5 minutes.
- Add the squash, vegetable broth, sage, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper, and Blue Agave Nectar.
- Bring to a simmer and let cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and purée with a hand blender or food processor.
- Return to pot and heat on medium to a simmer. Remove from heat, add Chipotle Extract and cream. Stir to combine.
- Serve with minced sage and a drizzle of Extra Virgin Finishing Olive Oil.