Rice pudding, or arroz con leche, is a wonderful winter dessert and a crispy sugar top is a nice change of pace. Our Natural Horchata Compound rounds the flavors out nicely. Makes about eight ½ cup servings.
- 3 cups milk
- 1¼ cups water
- 1 cup long grain rice
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 - 14 fl oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 3 tbsp Amoretti® Natural Horchata Compound
- cinnamon, to taste
- sugar, for topping
- kitchen torch
- Bring milk, water, and salt to a simmer over medium-low heat. Stir in rice and stir occasionally for 10-15 minutes, until almost cooked through.
- Add sweetened condensed milk and Natural Horchata Compound and return to a low simmer.
- Cook for an additional 20-25 minutes, until the desired consistency is achieved. Sprinkle cinnamon in at the end and stir in completely.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week. Reheat on the stovetop, adding milk to loosen the consistency.
- If serving cold, stir in an additional ½ cup milk and cool completely.
- If serving hot, allow it to sit for about ten minutes as it will be scalding hot. Brulée it for an alternative texture or garnish with any of these traditional ingredients: chopped pecans, walnuts, dates, or raisins.