Our recipe puts a spin on a regular brownie by adding a crème de menthe cream cheese topping. The delightful minty flavor pairs perfectly with the richness of the chocolate!
- 1 cup chopped dark chocolate
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1⅔ cup sugar
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Melt the chocolate and butter over a double boiler on medium heat.
- Sift the dry ingredients and set them aside.
- Whip the sugar and eggs for about 5 minutes to ribbon stage.
- Fold in the chocolate and butter mixture.
- Fold in the dry ingredients.
- Pour onto a parchment-lined sheet pan and bake for about 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool completely.
- In a mixer with the paddle attachment, beat the cream cheese until smooth.
- Add the butter and mix until smooth, scraping the bowl.
- Add the powdered sugar and mix until smooth, scraping the bowl.
- Add Crème de Menthe Swirl and Crème de Menthe Extract, mixing until smooth and evenly colored.
- Invert the pan with the brownies and using a torch, heat the bottom to release them from the pan. The bottom is now the top, as it is the smooth, even side.
- Smooth the cream cheese mixture over the brownies and chill until set.
- Trimming the edges of the brownies after adding the topping gives you a beautiful straight look perfect for plating. Also, the leftover bits make a great snack just for the chef!