These sugar cookies are the perfect canvas for royal icing or frosting and come together with ease. Enjoy the rich, buttery goodness of every bite for birthdays, holidays, and more.
- Cream butter and sugar with hand mixer until combined on medium-low speed (about 1 -1 ½ min). Do not over mix.
- Add egg and vanilla. Mix about 30 seconds or until fully incorporated.
- Add the flour, baking soda, and salt. Mix until combined on low speed.
- Lightly flour your hands if necessary and use them to bring the dough together into a disk. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and chill in your freezer (about 15-20 minutes) or in refrigerator (at least 1 hour) until firm.
- Unwrap the dough and place onto flat, floured surface. Using a rolling pin, carefully roll out dough to a ¼ inch in thickness. Apply small amount of flour to the rolling pin and top of your cookie dough as needed.
- Cut out your desired shapes with a cookie cutter and place cookies onto a cookie sheet lined with a silicon mat. Use a small offset spatula if needed.
- Bake at 375 for 8 minutes. Cookies should be uniform in color.
- Remove cookies from oven and allow to cool for 2 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. Cookies will be soft.
- Allow cookies to cool completely before frosting.