Basic Sugar Cookie Recipe
Posted on 10 December 2020
These sugar cookies are the perfect canvas for royal icing or frosting and come together with ease. Enjoy the rich, buttery goodness of every bite for birthdays, holidays, and more.
- Cream butter and sugar with hand mixer until combined on medium-low speed (about 1 -1 ½ min). Do not over mix.
- Add egg and vanilla. Mix about 30 seconds or until fully incorporated.
- Add the flour, baking soda, and salt. Mix until combined on low speed.
- Lightly flour your hands if necessary and use them to bring the dough together into a disk. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and chill in your freezer (about 15-20 minutes) or in refrigerator (at least 1 hour) until firm.
- Unwrap the dough and place onto flat, floured surface. Using a rolling pin, carefully roll out dough to a ¼ inch in thickness. Apply small amount of flour to the rolling pin and top of your cookie dough as needed.
- Cut out your desired shapes with a cookie cutter and place cookies onto a cookie sheet lined with a silicon mat. Use a small offset spatula if needed.
- Bake at 375 for 8 minutes. Cookies should be uniform in color.
- Remove cookies from oven and allow to cool for 2 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. Cookies will be soft.
- Allow cookies to cool completely before frosting.
Products used in this recipe