With a soft texture and delicious flavor, this is the perfect cake to highlight gorgeous spring berries or lemon curd! We're using it as the base of a very special recipe coming next week. Makes one 9" x 13" cake.
- heaping ⅓ cup cake flour, sifted
- ½ cup Amoretti® Blanched Almond Flour
- 4 egg yolks
- ¼ cup + 3 tbsp sugar, divided
- 3 egg whites
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- quarter sheet pan
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and line a quarter sheet pan.
- Combine cake flour with Almond Flour and set aside.
- Combine the yolks and ¼ cup sugar and, while whisking, cook over a double boiler until the temperature reaches 113°F (45°C).
- Whip the yolk mixture until the eggs reach full volume, or ribbon stage, where they are pale and fluffy.
- In a clean bowl, whip the egg whites until they are foamy and slowly add 3 tbsp sugar, “raining” it in.
- Continue whipping the whites to a soft peak.
- Pour a small amount of the whites into the yolk mixture, carefully folding it and then add the remaining whites into the yolk mixture, folding until combined.
- Add the flours and fold into the mixture gently.
- Slowly add the melted butter and keep folding until fully combined.
- Pour the mixture into prepared quarter sheet pan, smoothing to even the batter.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes.
- Cool completely before wrapping to chill overnight or freeze.