The most popular cake in the 50's and 60's, make this Spanish Bar and reminisce about those deliciously good old days!
- ½ cup raisins, chopped
- 1 cup boiling water
- ½ cup shortening
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup molasses
- 2¼ cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground cloves, optional
- 1 recipe Vanilla Frosting
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Soak the raisins in the boiling water.
- Cream the shortening, sugar and egg then blend in the molasses.
- Sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon, and cloves. Stir into the egg mixture.
- Fold in the drained, soaked raisins.
- Divide the batter equally between two greased and floured loaf pans.
- Bake them for 30 to 40 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of each cake comes out clean.
- Cool the cakes in their pans for 5 minutes, then remove and cool completely on a wire rack.
- Cut each cake in half horizontally and frost the top and center only with Vanilla Frosting.