Brunch is way more fun when deep fried! Not to mention delicious, especially paired with a side of berries!
Makes eight ½ sandwich servings.
- 1½ cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1½ cups milk
- 8 slices Texas Toast bread
- dijon mustard
- 1 lb sliced ham
- 1 lb sliced turkey
- ½ lb sliced Swiss cheese
- powdered sugar
- raspberry or strawberry preserves
- mixed berry salad
- whipped cream
- deep fryer
- sheet pan fitted with nonstick cooling rack
- Preheat deep fryer to 360°F.
- Put basket on the bottom of the fryer. (If you put the battered sandwich halves in the basket, they will stick!)
- Whisk flour, baking powder, and salt together in a deep bowl.
- In a second bowl, whisk the eggs and milk.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients, add wet ingredients and whisk until smooth.
- Lay out 4 slices of Texas Toast bread and spread them with Dijon mustard.
- Distribute the ham, turkey, and Swiss cheese evenly among the 4 slices of Texas Toast bread.
- Spread the remaining 4 slices of Texas Toast bread with Dijon mustard and place them, mustard side down, onto the ham, turkey, and Swiss cheese.
- Cut each sandwich in half diagonally, corner to corner, and secure each sandwich half with 3-4 toothpicks.
- Dip each sandwich half in the batter to coat, allowing any extra batter to drip back into the bowl.
- Gently place two sandwich halves at a time into the deep fryer and fry for 3-4 minutes, turning once, until golden brown on both sides.
- Lift the basket to remove sandwich halves from the deep fryer, remove the Monte Cristos from the basket with tongs, and drain on a sheet pan with a nonstick cooling rack.
- Repeat, two sandwich halves at a time, until all the sandwich halves have become Monte Cristos.
- Remove the toothpicks (very important!), plate, and dust with powdered sugar.
- Serve with a huge dollop of strawberry or raspberry preserves and a fresh mixed berry salad topped with whipped cream.