It's National Oreo Day!
Imagine a delicious mint filling sandwiched between two crispy chocolate cookies. *poof* Just like magic, these cookies will satisfy your desire for a mint and chocolate flavor combination! The only trick is that once the cookies are filled, they need to rest about 20 minutes for the filling to firm up.
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 3 tbsp dutch process cocoa powder, plus more for dusting
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ cup Amoretti® Natural Cookies & Cream Cookie Crumbs
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- ½ cup sugar
- 3 tbsp light corn syrup
- ⅛ tsp salt
- Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, and baking soda. Stir in Natural Cookies & Cream Cookie Crumbs and set aside.
- Cream the butter, sugar, corn syrup, and salt until fluffy.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix together until a dough begins to form.
- Wrap the dough and chill for 30 minutes before kneading a bit to be pliable.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350℉.
- Roll the dough between two pieces of parchment paper to ⅛” thickness.
- Cut desired cookie shapes, fluted or round edge, then slide the parchment paper with the dough and cutouts onto a sheet pan and freeze for 10 minutes.
- Remove excess dough and bake 15 minutes.
- Cool completely before filling.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Let it bubble and hiss until it becomes quiet, about 4 minutes. Keep an eye on it; you don’t want it to brown.
- Pour the melted butter through a sieve into a mixer bowl.
- Add the sifted powdered sugar and salt. Mix to combine.
- Add Crème de Menthe Swirl, Mint Chocolate Chip Extract and mix until completely combined, 3-4 minutes.
- Pipe the filling onto one of the cookies, top with another cookie, and let the cookie rest about 20 minutes before serving; the filling will thicken as it rests.
- Freezing the cut cookies will enable you to lift away the dough without disturbing the shape of the cookies.
- Nabisco makes a lot of OREO flavors nowadays, but if you haven't seen your ideal sandwich cookie flavor combo yet, explore our other Swirls and make it happen!