When the wind is howling and the sky is dark, simmer up a comforting pot of potato soup!
- 1 ham bone, with visible meat
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 cups water
- ½ tsp celery seeds
- ½ tsp white pepper
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 5 medium red potatoes, cut into 1" cubes
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter
- ½ cup flour
- 2 cups half and half or milk
- 1 - 15oz can corn, drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp Amoretti® Natural Ham Hock (Roasted Ham) Type Extract W.S.
- Place ham bone, onion, water, celery seeds, white and black peppers in a dutch oven.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until meat easily comes off the bone with a fork.
- Shred ham from the bone, discard any fat, and return meat to the pot.
- Add diced potatoes and return to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender.
- While potatoes are cooking, in a medium saucepan melt butter over medium heat, being careful not to brown.
- Add flour, stirring constantly until well incorporated.
- Bring heat to medium-high and gradually stir in the half and half until creamy, thick and bubbly, stirring constantly being careful not to scorch.
- Once it thickly coats a spoon, remove from heat.
- When the potatoes are tender, stir in the sauce mixture, corn, garlic, and Ham Hock Extract.
- Let simmer over medium heat, stirring constantly, until soup reaches the desired consistency.
- Add milk to adjust if needed.