This Southern favorite is said to bring good luck for the new year! Serves 8-10.
- Soak beans overnight, rinse before using.
- Melt butter or oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. When butter begins to change color add onion, carrot, celery, ham, and ham hock. Cook until vegetables are very fragrant, about 5 minutes.
- Add beans, bell peppers, creole seasoning, Extracts, and stock. Bring to a simmer and lower heat to maintain the simmer. Cook until beans are tender, about 15-25 minutes.
- Add fresh thyme and kale. Turn off heat.
- Remove ham hock and cut the meat off of the bone and return meat to pot. Discard bone.
- Adjust seasoning and liquid to desired flavor and consistency.
- If making ahead, reserve the kale and add it the next day while reheating.
© 2019 Amoretti® All Rights Reserved